The WPD accepts applications for Police Officer year round.
Applications are placed in the next hiring phase.
Starting Certified Officers at $40,330 Annually
Joining the Woodstock Police Department
The City of Woodstock Police Department is the largest municipality within Cherokee County. The department is responsible for the law enforcement services of over twelve square miles inhabited by over 31,000 residents and over 2,000 businesses. The City of Woodstock continues to be one of the nation's fastest growing cities.
Through a continual focus on career development and enhanced training the City of Woodstock Police Department is dedicated to the highest standards. We are committed to the development of our officers and department as we strive to offer the best services to our citizens and visitors alike.
As our officers excel we offer many avenues of specialized training. Through our progressive approach officers have the ability to become:
- Accident Reconstructionists
- Canine Specialists (Explosive Ordinance, Narcotic Detection & Tracking)
- Crime Suppression Officers
- Drug Task Force Agents
- Hostage Negotiators
- Motorcycle Traffic Enforcement Officers
- Neighborhood Services Officers
- Police Training Officers
- Public Information Officers
- SWAT Team Members
- Traffic Enforcement Officers
- Officers who achieve the highest standards will also be eligible for promotion
Interested in Joining Our Team?
The following are the basic requirements that must be met in order to qualify for a position as a police officer with the City of Woodstock Police Department.
- Have or be able to obtain a valid State of Georgia driver's license
- Have a demonstrated safe driving history
- Be certifiable by the Georgia Police Officer Standards and Training Council
- No felony convictions or disqualifying misdemeanors, including DUI offenses
- No active or pending POST investigations
- Closed POST investigations must be exonerated
- Have an acceptable internal affairs history
Beginning Your Career
Interested applicants will complete a series of steps in order to ensure that the very best applicants are chosen to join our team of dedicated officers.
The following is the City of Woodstock Police Department hiring process*:
- Step I: A complete application for employment must be received by Human Resources containing the following:
- Copy of birth certificate
- Copy of social security card
- Copy of driver's license
- Copy of high school diploma or GED
- Step II: Applicants will be mailed a letter notifying them the police department has officially received their application once the hiring process begins. This letter will also advise on how to obtain the background packet.
- Step III: Applicants will be required to submit their background packets for review by a specific date and time.
- Step IV: Applicants who do not have any known disqualifications will be mailed a letter notifying them of the date and time of the written and physical tests. A response to the letter is required to reserve a place for testing.
- Step V: A written examination will be administered requiring a passing score of 80 or above.
- Step VI: An obstacle course will be administered requiring a completion within a two minute, thirty second time limit.
- Step VII: Applicants will be reviewed by an interview board.
- Step VIII: Conditional offers of employment will be made to the top candidates who fall within the predefined available positions.
- Step IX: A psychological evaluation will be administered to the candidates receiving conditional offers of employment.
- Step X: A polygraph evaluation will be administered to the candidates receiving conditional offers of employment.
- Step XI: A medical evaluation will be administered to the candidates receiving conditional offers of employment.
- Step XII: A complete and full background investigation will be completed on the candidates receiving conditional offers of employment.
- Step XIII: Non-certified candidates will complete the COMPASS® test requiring a passing score.
- Step XIV: Firm offers of employment will be extended to the most qualified candidates who have met all requirements based upon their placement within the predefined available positions.
- Step XV: POST certified police officer hires will enter directly into the Police Training Program.
- Step XVI: Non-certified hires will enter directly into a departmental orientation program.
- Step XVII: Non-certified hires will be transitioned into the regional basic mandate police academy.
- Step XVIII: Academy graduates will enter directly into the Police Training Program.
- Step XIX: Upon successful completion of the Police Training Program, graduates will begin a solo assignment as a police officer.
*The order or requirements are subject to change without notice. This listing is meant to advise on the order of the process and not to be a complete listing of all the processes involved in the hiring process.
The City of Woodstock is an equal opportunity employer and does not discriminate on the basis of race, color, national origin, sex, religion, age or disability in employment or the provision of service.
CURRENT APPLICANTS ONLY:(Applicants who have already submitted an application)
Please download, complete and submit the two PDF files per the instructions provided to you.